United Utilities Battle

CSA/CMS, Rent arrears, VAT, Capital Contribution Orders, all other debts not listed above
leg01end

United Utilities Battle

Post by leg01end »

Hello all.

I'm in a battle with United Utilities at the moment over a dispute debt.
I've made a reasonable offer of payment of 50% of the balance, which I believe is what I owe.
They've refused.
Anyway, they write to me offering something called the matching scheme, whereby for every £1 I pay, they match it.
So I ask them for more details on this scheme, as it basically works out at the 50% I owe.
Anyway, in the email they tell me they've applied to DWP to have money taken from my benefits, and if successful, they match it on a pound for pound basis.
Now, I'm not on benefits. I never have been.So I can't have this scheme after them emailing me and telling me I could (Not maybe,or might)
Do you guys think this is a breach of my data, insofar as who gave them permission to approach DWP? What gave them the idea I'm on benefits. I've never mentioned this.
I'm looking for as much ammo as possible against them, so interested in what you guys think?
zeke

Re: United Utilities Battle

Post by zeke »

I am not familiar with what they call a matching scheme.

An online search points to United Utilities' website, which tells me it's a scheme exclusive to United Utilities and not a statutory instrument.

Applying for a deduction from benefits is normally exclusive for statutory debts than contractual ones, which leaves unsecured creditors having to apply for a charging order.

Rather than fighting this over data protection, just make a deadlined offer to settle by stating how much you will pay. Then leave it there.

If you have a data protection matter, then you can ask the Information Commissioner’s Office to intervene.
AliGlover

Re: United Utilities Battle

Post by AliGlover »

I would recommend that you contact the DWP directly to see if your benefits have been applied for and if it was with your consent. It is also worth seeking the help of a lawyer or debt counselor for additional advice and guidance in this situation. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this dispute.