Jacob's not accepting payment plan

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
leyann74

Jacob's not accepting payment plan

Post by leyann74 »

Need some advice!!!
I had alot of trouble with Jacob's last year for council tax debt...paid most of it but wouldnt allow payment plan for last £917 and wanted it in full. After missing 2 payments on my council tax this year the council have sent the full year of £1500 to Jacob's which is now £2417. I have been unemployed and in receipt of universal credit for quite a while now so it is impossible to pay In full...I have explained this to Jacob's but they dont give a damn. My brother in law rang them bk in August and told them he wanted to help pay and they wanted £600 off him a month. He has since had a heart attack and cannot work so he is struggling himself. Because my brother in law didnt pay no money to them they are back banging at my door. I have emailed Jacob's offering £150 a month but they have not replied to me. I had a seizure back in 2016 due to stress and this constant harassment is making me feel I'll.. i.dont know what else to do. Universal credit pays me £190 a month so theres no way I can pay what they are asking.
zeke

Re: Jacob's not accepting payment plan

Post by zeke »

If you are unemployed and receiving UC then you are in a class of vulnerable people for the purpose of civil enforcement. This article explains more about bailiffs and vulnerable people: https://www.nationalbailiffadvice.uk/Ba ... eople.html

If you need more time to pay, there is a smallish trump card. The government issued councils with guidelines saying councils must protect debtors from punitive repayment arrangements imposed by bailiffs. Guidelines published by the Ministry of Justice say bailiffs must not coerce debtors into making payments they cannot afford. You can ask your local councillor or the Local Government Ombudsman to compel the council to take back control of the arrears.

Paragraph 24 states. Debtors must not be pressed to make unrealistic offers and should be asked to consider carefully any offer they voluntarily make and where possible refer to free debt advice.

You can ask the council to comply with this rule and cease and desist with pestering you for money your don’t have.

As you are vulnerable, and I assume that you have medical records to prove it. You can apply for what is called, a detailed assessment under Civil Procedure Rule 84.16 because under sub-section 84.16(1)(d) provides for debtors to ask the court to decide whether the bailiff can recover any part of the fees because you are in a class of vulnerable people. The bailiff company is usually ordered to pay the applicants costs. There is usually no cost to you, the applicant and you can do it online.
leyann74

Post by leyann74 »

That's great advice thank you.
The email I sent last week was an offer of £150 a month starting 1st November which is next Friday...shall I pay this first instalment even though a payment plan is not in place...just want to start getting the ball rolling and getting this paid off as quickly as possible.
ethelnet

Post by ethelnet »

leyann74 wrote: 24 Oct 2019 10:51 That's great advice thank you.
The email I sent last week was an offer of £150 a month starting 1st November which is next Friday...shall I pay this first instalment even though a payment plan is not in place...just want to start getting the ball rolling and getting this paid off as quickly as possible.
Pay what you can afford and pay it direct to the council - forget Jacobs for now - they are vermin. It is my most fervent wish that Simon Jacobs and his daughter Paula get their comeuppance one day soon.

If you tell the council you are unemployed they will probably take the account back from Jacobs.