SSE Entry Warrant to change meter

CSA/CMS, Rent arrears, VAT, Capital Contribution Orders, all other debts not listed above
stiggy77

SSE Entry Warrant to change meter

Post by stiggy77 »

Hi

So I have just had an SSE rep with a locksmith drill the lock down for £155 debt . They were going to change the meter to a prepaid . Yes I owe the money and I have paid the debt today .

Can they force entry by obtaining the warrant start of this week without giving me 7 days notice from which the warrant was issued . Also the warrant itself which the re showed me and I had to take a picture had no court stamps . Just typed up with a handwritten signature .

Have spoke to SSE they told me that the letter (which I never received) dating back in June was my notice and did not need further notice . They have also said offered £50 of the remaining balance of my bill . If they have acted as they said lawfully why would they offer me this ...

Please help and advise
zeke

Re: SSE Entry Warrant to change meter

Post by zeke »

This might not be what you want to hear, but the law is Section 2 of the Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954.

If an energy supplier is having trouble collecting post-paid energy bills then the law allows them to apply to a court to enter the premises and change the meter to a pre-paid one.

The law also places the responsibility on the energy company to make good any damage caused to the property. They should do the work to restore the premises back the same standard they found it. If it is not, then you can recover the cost of making good the premises to the same condition before the energy company entered.

You can claim damages if the energy company broke into the premises while an adult was inside and able to open the door, or there is no unpaid energy on the account. I admit that £155 arrears is rather low and they may have acted hastily.
stiggy77

Post by stiggy77 »

So they don’t have to give me 7 days notice from when they get the warrant ?
zeke

Post by zeke »

The seven days notice is regulation 6 of the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013, and applies to taking control of a debtors goods.

Section 2 of the Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954 does not require a notice.