Help! Is this ‘Statute Barred’??

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Aviacom

Help! Is this ‘Statute Barred’??

Post by Aviacom »

Hi,

I got this through yesterday as I guess that they cannot find my ex partner of many years ago..

What to do about it? Is it Stat Barred??

Who to and what to write about it?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeke

Re: Help! Is this ‘Statute Barred’??

Post by zeke »

I’m going to be the bearer of bad news. Housing benefit overpayments are neither a contractual or statutory debt, therefore it is not statute barred. It is a mistake made by a public authority resulting in an overpayment of a prescribed benefit.

Section 32(1)(c) of the Limitation Act 1980 states that a claimant may bring an action for the action for relief from the consequences of a mistake.

The good news is there is no enforcement power.

You can even dispute the debt with the council as they have the burden of proof.

The letter is not a prescribed form of demand as far as enforcement regulations are concerned. The entity the letter is sent by is simply called “Jacobs”. Public records show it is not a company, merely a trading name of Simon Jacobs, a former bailiff living with his wife Paula at a private address in Merseyside.

As Simon Jacobs is not a solicitor, neither he or his trading name can bring proceedings and apply for an enforcement power against you for the recovery of housing benefit overpayment. Simon does not have locus standi.

You have no contractual obligation to engage with Simon or anyone working for him.

You might want to ask Simon what he means by “commence recovery procedures” in his letter. Without an enforcement power, he does not have a right to commence anything other than knocking the door and ask pretty-please with a cherry on the top.
Syd Snitkin
The Watcher

Post by Syd Snitkin »

This looks like Jacob's acting as a debt collector rather than a bailiff. If so, then they have no powers at all.

What's the history of this debt?
Former General Manager of a nursing home, trained in music and classical guitar, MBA in contract law, expert legal commentator on bailiff law. enjoys PG tips. No not me, some screwball elsewhere
Aviacom

Post by Aviacom »

Jacobs have now commenced to filing a County Court Claim for this overpayment and are looking to obtain a CCJ for the alleged debt.

Now what?
zeke

Post by zeke »

What are the claim particulars and what is the name of the claimant?
ethelnet

Post by ethelnet »

zeke wrote: 09 Jul 2019 11:28

The letter is not a prescribed form of demand as far as enforcement regulations are concerned. The entity the letter is sent by is simply called “Jacobs”. Public records show it is not a company, merely a trading name of Simon Jacobs, a former bailiff living with his wife Paula at a private address in Merseyside.
Paula's his daughter, not his wife (at least I hope she's not)
zeke

Post by zeke »

Paula used to be Paula Sutton. She is now Paula Jacobs. Too much botox to be his daughter.
zeke

Post by zeke »

She couldn't have done GCSEs in 1988 unless she is in Scotland.

They were introduced in the Education Reform Act 1988 and tuition is two years which means the first GCSE exams and certificates are 1990.

In my day it was called O'Level, abolished and transitioned to GCSE.
ethelnet

Post by ethelnet »

zeke wrote: 06 Nov 2019 15:27 She couldn't have done GCSEs in 1988 unless she is in Scotland.

They were introduced in the Education Reform Act 1988 and tuition is two years which means the first GCSE exams and certificates are 1990.

In my day it was called O'Level, abolished and transitioned to GCSE.
I would believe you over Paula Jacobs any day, friend.
ethelnet

Post by ethelnet »

zeke wrote: 06 Nov 2019 12:56 Paula used to be Paula Sutton. She is now Paula Jacobs. Too much botox to be his daughter.
You're right and I seem to be wrong. Years ago, I read Paula's bio but failed to properly read Simon's bio on the same page.

Paula started with the 'firm' a year after Simon so Simon is very unlikely to be the 'father' mentioned in Paula's bio.

If her old man was a bailiff she will have grown up on threats and won't scare easily. I'm very minded to deliberately get a parking ticket just to draw myself into confrontation with this pair.
ethelnet

Post by ethelnet »

A year before Simon - he started in 1989 and she in 1988. There's something very odd about this firm.
zeke

Post by zeke »

There is no "firm".

Simon never formed a company so Jacob's is a sole trader.

It is allowed under the regulations, but if he lands a claim then he is personally liable.

Everything he owns is at risk.

There is no Ltd liability protection.
ethelnet

Post by ethelnet »

zeke wrote: 07 Nov 2019 09:06 There is no "firm".

Simon never formed a company so Jacob's is a sole trader.

It is allowed under the regulations, but if he lands a claim then he is personally liable.

Everything he owns is at risk.

There is no Ltd liability protection.
Fascinating stuff.

Home address of the proprietors:
Brean Down
Thorsway
Caldy
Wirral
CH48 2JJ

I can't find a birth record for a Paula Sutton any time in April 1971 - more digging needed.
ethelnet

Post by ethelnet »

They picked up that gaff for a cool £1.75m..

They have a limited company called Jacobs Technology Limited formed this year. Paula sloppily left the home address on the article of incorporation - it was swiftly changed to Europa Boulevard but home address confirmed by recent planning application.
zeke

Post by zeke »

Simon Jacobs should have put his bailiff interests into a company.

He has left himself a sitting duck. If a bailiff case goes awry and lands a big bill, the claimant will put a restriction on his house.

It's only a £20 fee with HM Land Registry to enter a restriction by completing a form RX1. HM Land Registry will send him and his other lenders a notice.

Simon can file an objection with HM Land Registry, but it will stand pending until disposed of.
Syd Snitkin
The Watcher

Post by Syd Snitkin »

The first GCSEs in England were sat in 1988. 100%
Former General Manager of a nursing home, trained in music and classical guitar, MBA in contract law, expert legal commentator on bailiff law. enjoys PG tips. No not me, some screwball elsewhere