Council Tax Empty Properties

MrsH

Council Tax Empty Properties

Post by MrsH »

Myself and three siblings inherited our parents property in Jan 2016, due to legal complications, covid, etc the estate was finally settled in October 2021, when my brother and I bought the other two siblings share of the property. The council has added a 200 % premium to the council tax as the property remained empty whilst we renovated it, we have received a bill for £9317.95 for the period 1/4/23 - 31/3/24. I have appealed several times there was no gas pipe to the property, no electricity, no water not even a bin ! but the house doesn't fit any criteria to be exempt from additional charges and I have previously had a court summons regarding this, any help gratefully appreciated.
zeke

Re: Council Tax Empty Properties

Post by zeke »

How are the bailiffs involved?
Syd Snitkin
The Watcher

Post by Syd Snitkin »

Which council is it?
Former General Manager of a nursing home, trained in music and classical guitar, MBA in contract law, expert legal commentator on bailiff law. enjoys PG tips. No not me, some screwball elsewhere
MrsH

Post by MrsH »

I've had a court summons last year which I manged to avoid, I have MS and need to send a notice of vulnerability to Birmingham City Council
Syd Snitkin
The Watcher

Post by Syd Snitkin »

You said the legal complications were only settled in October 2021 - is then when probate was granted?

If so, then there should be no council tax charge until that date, plus an additional 6 months afterwards. They even mention this on their website:

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2014 ... x%20charge.

"Property unoccupied because the owner or tenant has died (Class F)

Where a property is left unoccupied following the death of the owner or tenant, an exemption can be granted until probate is granted or letters of administration are obtained, and for up to six months afterwards if it remains unoccupied."

If probate wasn't granted until October 2021, then technically yourself and your siblings were not the owners until then and council tax should only be due from April 2022. This will be at the 200% premium they outline.

You haven't said if the house was completely uninhabitable for any other period you were billed for. This could be a route for further exemption but I don't believe simply not having a gas or electricity supply would be enough to qualify.
Former General Manager of a nursing home, trained in music and classical guitar, MBA in contract law, expert legal commentator on bailiff law. enjoys PG tips. No not me, some screwball elsewhere