DCBL debt recovery - unpaid parking charge

Stop or Suspend Enforcement. Appeal the PCN. Claim Damages for Unlawful Interference with Vehicles.
pricey

DCBL debt recovery - unpaid parking charge

Post by pricey »

Hi all,

@ Leyton Mills last August, my the car was parked in the disabled bay for a few minutes (8-10 mins) just before end of the charge day for a quick pick from B&Q. There was a PCN on the car!

There’s a letter that just came through my door (first one to my address). It’s from DCBL, notice of debt recovery, unpaid parking charge.

What’s the quickest way to get rid of this sinister nuisance? Super worried.

Ta.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Syd Snitkin
The Watcher

Re: DCBL debt recovery - unpaid parking charge

Post by Syd Snitkin »

Don't even bother with DCBL, they're not acting as bailiffs here, just debt collectors who have zero powers.

Does the original PCN have any photographic proof? If not, ask for it. Ask for date stamped photographic proof of the signage that was in place on the date you were parked and in relation to where you were parked.

There's more after that, but that can usually sort it out.
Former General Manager of a nursing home, trained in music and classical guitar, MBA in contract law, expert legal commentator on bailiff law. enjoys PG tips. No not me, some screwball elsewhere
pricey

Post by pricey »

I’m sure they do but I don’t have any PCN letters!

The car was parked in the disabled bay with the sign on top 🙄
pricey

Post by pricey »

Super worried!

Got this letter from county business centre???

What do I do!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pricey

Post by pricey »

Syd Snitkin wrote: 08 Apr 2023 14:31 Don't even bother with DCBL, they're not acting as bailiffs here, just debt collectors who have zero powers.

Does the original PCN have any photographic proof? If not, ask for it. Ask for date stamped photographic proof of the signage that was in place on the date you were parked and in relation to where you were parked.

There's more after that, but that can usually sort it out.
What do you recommend? 🥹🥹🥹
pricey

Post by pricey »

Hi, can anyone help and walk me through what I can do next please?
zeke

Post by zeke »

I have defended these successfully but it's been a long time since I've done it.

I will need to re-design the defence statement.

If you can give me a week or so, I'll see if I can design a new defence.

The route I go is making the claimant prove it, and make them show evidence of loss, or try to show the claimant is seeking an economic loss.

The Parking Eye v Beavis case will have changed things a lot, so I will need to research it.

I dont think the claimant can claim £50 legal representatives costs because this claim is likely to be allocated to the small claims track.
pricey

Post by pricey »

Thank you! I’ve received the ‘final warning’ letter before the bailiffs come 😫
pricey

Post by pricey »

I like your angle @zeke
It was literally 8 minutes for and empty car park- anyone could have parked any where! The store closed in that time as well! Like it’s a big price to pay for something that wasn’t causing anyone any trouble and I wasn’t even there for long enough!
pricey

Post by pricey »

zeke wrote: 07 Jul 2023 09:19 I have defended these successfully but it's been a long time since I've done it.

I will need to re-design the defence statement.

If you can give me a week or so, I'll see if I can design a new defence.

The route I go is making the claimant prove it, and make them show evidence of loss, or try to show the claimant is seeking an economic loss.

The Parking Eye v Beavis case will have changed things a lot, so I will need to research it.

I dont think the claimant can claim £50 legal representatives costs because this claim is likely to be allocated to the small claims track.
John The Baptist

Post by John The Baptist »

I think you might have to let this one go and deal with it Pricey.

As you have ignored the claim, you now have a default judgement against you. In order to have challenged this judgement, you needed to have acted promptly. You have ignored several notifications regarding the debt so you have zero chance of now getting the judgement overturned.

Parking Eye v Beavis is generally connected to the amount of penalty that can be imposed (and confirms the amount that you have been ordered to pay is justified).

£50 commencement fee is permitted under Civil Procedure Rules.

I would imagine that whereas you may get a few minutes grace if parked on double yellows, there is no grace at all if parked in a disabled bay (without a badge)

I sympathise with you living in London and driving. If I lived down there, I would not bother with a car. However it's no excuse to use a disabled bay and you've quite rightly been penalised for it. Put it down to an expensive lesson - There's no loopholes and no way out. You now have a CCJ in your name. Whether DCBL will ever be able to enforce such a small amount is another matter.