N244 or N245 or both? Help please!

Apply to Stay the Writ. Set Aside the Judgment. Apply for more time to pay. Stop the Bailiff. Cancel the Fees.
Topnotch100

N244 or N245 or both? Help please!

Post by Topnotch100 »

Received a visit from enforcement agent who threw a ‘notice of attendance’ at me and asked for £1500 or ‘can I ask family / friends for it’ ‘you’re in a bit of a pickle’ etc etc
It’s from a CCJ which I completed admission form and sent back recorded delivery with offer of payment based on my income & expenditure. It was delivered and signed for back in January then this happened?
I don’t dispute the debt and willing to pay monthly, stepchange have worked out how much I can afford to offer. I submitted this by text to the enforcement agent who replied ‘full payment only by Monday’
Do I complete both N244 and N245 and can it be submitted online please? Do I submit it to Northampton who issues the CCj? Any advice appreciated :)
Topnotch100

Re: N244 or N245 or both? Help please!

Post by Topnotch100 »

Oh it was A Marstons agent
Topnotch100

Post by Topnotch100 »

Am I right in thinking the ‘notice of attendance’ should also set out the 7 clear days rule? And tell me what date I have to settle by before enforcement stage 2? I can’t seem to find that anywhere
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Topnotch100 wrote: 04 Apr 2021 21:55 Received a visit from enforcement agent who threw a ‘notice of attendance’ at me and asked for £1500 or ‘can I ask family / friends for it’ ‘you’re in a bit of a pickle’ etc etc
It’s from a CCJ which I completed admission form and sent back recorded delivery with offer of payment based on my income & expenditure. It was delivered and signed for back in January then this happened?
I don’t dispute the debt and willing to pay monthly, stepchange have worked out how much I can afford to offer. I submitted this by text to the enforcement agent who replied ‘full payment only by Monday’
Do I complete both N244 and N245 and can it be submitted online please? Do I submit it to Northampton who issues the CCj? Any advice appreciated :)
Did you ever get a response to your admission form? An order should have been made by the court, either granting or refusing your repayment offer. If it was refused, you should also have been notified.
Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
Anything posted by me is from my own knowledge and experience, it is not legal advice or the official views of this forum.

Knowledge is Power.
Topnotch100

Post by Topnotch100 »

Hello Michelle, no I received no response at all. If I’m honest I’d forgotten about it as I’m in a bit of a mess. Only after he left I started digging for the recorded delivery receipt.
zeke

Post by zeke »

Topnotch100 wrote: 04 Apr 2021 21:55 It’s from a CCJ which I completed admission form and sent back recorded delivery with offer of payment based on my income & expenditure. It was delivered and signed for back in January then this happened?
It seems your address changed since judgment was entered.

Search Trust Online, https://search.trustonline.org.uk/Search/Person at your previous address, and if the judgment is there, then apply for a stay of execution (if a writ is issued) and to vary the judgment.

Topnotch100 wrote: 04 Apr 2021 21:55 I don’t dispute the debt and willing to pay monthly, stepchange have worked out how much I can afford to offer. I submitted this by text to the enforcement agent who replied ‘full payment only by Monday’
I'm afraid that is not how it's done.

Stepchange is usually better than advising you to send text messages to bailiffs. They will mess you about.

Apply to stop the enforcement power, because that stops the bailiff and takes all their fees out of the loop.

Topnotch100 wrote: 04 Apr 2021 21:55 Do I complete both N244 and N245 and can it be submitted online please? Do I submit it to Northampton who issues the CCj? Any advice appreciated :)
Its an N244 and an N245 and its filed at the county court that issued judgment, if that is Northampton, then file it there, otherwise file it wherever the Trust Online says is the issuing county court.

It the bailiff is executing a high court writ, the procedure is different, and its filed at the High Court Queen's Bench Division.

Either way, apply for court fee remission, otherwise you are shelling pout £255 for the High Court application, or £100 for a county court application - as the case may be.
Topnotch100

Post by Topnotch100 »

Thank you for the reply Zeke
The notice of attendance says ‘they have been directed to collect or remove in accordance with writ of control’ so is that N245 execution? And should I complete the N244 even though I didn’t get a response to my admission form? The ccj is showing on the register against me.
zeke

Post by zeke »

I'm not sure what you mean by N245 execution.

A form N245 is an income and expenditure, and you apply for a stay and a variation using a form N244. You file both to the court.

You should make a claim for court fee remission and put the Help With Fees (HWF) reference at the top right of the N244 before posting the forms to the court.

If the CCJ is on the public register and the bailiff is enforcing a county court warrant of control, then file both forms at the county court that issued the judgment.

If the bailiff is enforcing a writ of control, then you can email the completed form N244 and N245 to the High Court Queen's Bench division. Their email address is qbenquiries@justice.gov.uk

In the body of your email, say something like

Dear Sir.

My name is [NAME] and the claim number is [CLAIM NUMBER].

Please process my application for Help with Fees, then file my application for a stay of execution and to vary the original judgment to be paid at £[AMOUNT] a month.

Depending which High Court Master you get, it's a game of chance.

Some High Court masters will make your order as applied.

Others will stay the enforcement and order you to apply to vary the judgment at your home county court within 14 days, and the stay on the enforcement of the writ continues until further order by the county court.

Interestingly, I have seen first hand, two High Court Masters contradict each other when deciding identical applications to stay a writ of control and vary a county court judgment.

One has said - after staying a High Court writ - the High Court does not have authority to vary a county court judgment because the High Court does not have jurisdiction over county court.

Another High Court master, has happily stayed a writ of control and varied a county court judgment in one fell swoop.

Article 8 of the County Court and High Court Jurisdiction Order 2008 is silent, but I have regularly seen High Court Judges exercising jurisdiction over county court matters.

Either way, the payments are always made to the creditor. You only pay the judgment debt, not the bailiffs fees.

If the creditor says "its in the hands of bailiffs" then you are still only liable for the judgment debt, and not the fees.

If a bailiff or creditor demands you pay enforcement fees and you have a stay order on the writ of control, post back here. We can show you how to apply for a detailed assessment under Civil Procedure Rule 84.16.
Topnotch100

Post by Topnotch100 »

Amazing thank you so much Zeke. It’s a writ of control so I’ll submit an email today. I’ll update on any outcome. I really appreciate your help and advice.