Jacobs

Quash the Liability Order. Suspend Enforcement. Disputing Liabilities. Claim Damages for Misuse of Enforcement Power.
Yurix10

Jacobs

Post by Yurix10 »

After having a crappy year doubly losing money due to my wife taking maternity leave and covid having my hours be irregular, i have found myself in the unfortunate position of owing the council £1300 and not being able to even pay anything monthly. i was informed by jacobs that the debt was with them and i tried to offer them £30 per month until the debt was cleared, it may take a few years like i had to do with another debt a few years ago, they refused payment and demanded £200 as a starting point.

obviously i told them i couldnt afford such a high sum, and they basically told me its that or nothing.

what can i do? i know they cannot refuse payment and i will be requesting a recording to prove they did as evidence to show the council.

im stressed as hell and could do with advice? anything would be helpful.

thanks in advance.
monkeynuts
Site Admin

Re: Jacobs

Post by monkeynuts »

If your financial circumstance have changed dramatically have you applied for any state benefits? If not run a benefit check using entitledto.co.uk and see if this change of circumstances triggers some support. If you are in receipt, contacting the LA and explaining your current financial situation is an option that you can do, and thus making an offer of payment direct to them. They have the power to put the enforcement action on hold or call off the bailiffs.

Negotiating with the bailiffs is like talking to an idiot...they will eventually bring you down to their level sadly.

To ease your stress, you don't have to deal with the bailiffs, don't let them in, park your car away from your home as a precaution. Intimidation and threats are what they thrive on to make you pay.

You will find some excellent advice here : https://stopthebailiffs.uk/stop-council ... ement.html on our sister site.
On the path to become an 'activist lawyer'

Welfare advisor at national charity

An awake populous is a bailiffs worst nightmare