Can action be taken

Steve1847

Can action be taken

Post by Steve1847 »

Hi all, I’m looking into the viability of launching legal proceedings against a bailiff for injury to feelings.
I live on my own and bought my house in July 2018. I was aware that the previous owner had a lot of debt/bankrupt as it was this reason that it took 7 months to complete the sale.
Yesterday I have a bailiff at my door, something I have never experienced having made sure that I always pay my bills on time. He was looking for a person I had be very heard of before. I told him that I lived alone and that I’d never heard of the person. He asked to see my I.D. Now this is where I’ll probably be slated as I refused to show him any. I just thought it was so rude to turn up on my door step demanding to see my ID. He then proceeded to clamp my car. So began 20 minutes of him being difficult, I showed him the Log book and receipt but as I had private plates the reg on the receipt didn’t match that on the car. Thankfully I still have the original log book but he still wasn’t satisfied. I told him to look at the vin plates so that he could match the documents up but at first he was being difficult and saying it still wasn’t sufficient. Eventually he did check and promptly removed the clamp. He then threatened to keep turning up at 6 in the morning. Eventually I showed him my council tax bill complete with single occupancy discount. He then left without apologising. This experience has left me so angry. I’ve seen them use these tactics on the tv but of course they only show the ones where they show the person to be lying. To be treated the way I was yesterday when I genuinely had never heard of the person has left me stressed to say the least. I hardly slept last night as I was so angry with the situation. Since this visit I have done some very basic research and found that the previous owner of my house’s maiden name is the one that they were looking for, first name is different though. The last name is very rare (I’ve never heard it before) So I’m thinking that now I can prove that I couldn’t have known this person is there any way I can claim compensation for injury to feelings? I know that sounds pathetic but that whole incident has left me so angry and embarrassed. I just don’t think they should get away with it. I’m thinking the answer will probably be that it’s my fault for not showing I.D but I found it so insulting that someone can turn up on my doorstep, record me and demand to see my I.D. I should be allowed to live peacefully and not suffer that. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks
monkeynuts
Site Admin

Re: Can action be taken

Post by monkeynuts »

It would be very hard for a judge to put a value on 'feelings' unfortunately.
On the path to become an 'activist lawyer'

Welfare advisor at national charity

An awake populous is a bailiffs worst nightmare
Syd Snitkin
The Watcher

Re: Can action be taken

Post by Syd Snitkin »

Any judge would just ask if you were able to take the time to dig out 2 log books, why not just show your driving licence?

We know bailiffs can be obnoxious but no harm has been caused here.
Former General Manager of a nursing home, trained in music and classical guitar, MBA in contract law, expert legal commentator on bailiff law. enjoys PG tips. No not me, some screwball elsewhere